Directions...Tips & Tricks
Directions...Tips & Tricks
- Backgrounds or large pieces ... I often use a foam brush or a roller to paint backgrounds. You can also use a large sponge or chip brush. Do 2 coats for more solid coverage.
- For smaller 3D pieces, use a round dauber, foam (makeup) wedge, or the side of a foam brush. Paint in an up and down motion to help keep the edges clean. This will create texture however most of this settles down as it dries - I prefer this method because it doesn't create noticeable brush strokes. Thin coats are highly recommended! Less is more and it's better to do 2 thin coats than I thick one.
- Alternately, you can apply the paint with a baby wipe (or damp paper towel) for a faux 'stained' look. Rub a small amount of paint onto the surface to achieve your desired color; use a new wipe if it seems too dry. Go with the grain on backgrounds. This is one of my favorite techniques and I use it for large and small pieces.
- If desired, you can use a small amount of watered-down paint to add character... blot some on with a wipe to create an antique look or create splatter with an old toothbrush by running your finger across the bristles to spray small specks of paint onto the surface. Dry brushing is also another option for shading.
- Design ideas ... we love polka dots! Use a round sponge to create a dot by placing on the wood and rotating slightly to make a full dot. You can also dip the wrong end of a paint brush or a pencil eraser into paint to make smaller dots. Consider adding stripes, outlining, zigzags, etc. Scrapbook paper can even be decoupaged onto pieces for more detailed pattern (just sand the edges to remove the excess when dry).
- I often sand pieces to create a worn look. Sanding also smooths the grain that can sometimes be raised due to the moisture when using a baby wipe.
- Most of the wood in our kits has been cut on a laser. Occasionally, a batch of wood may char on the edges a bit. You may notice it if it smudges onto the white foam wedge or tints light colored paint as you work. We try to avoid having any excess char, however it is always a possibility when working with lasered wood.
- Glue, just like paint, should be used in moderation. Your kit may contain a tube of Super glue - if so, use caution when piercing the top to open it as well as during use. You may have wood glue that can be applied with a brush or sponge - this is easier to work with but takes slightly longer to dry. Whichever glue you use, apply small amounts so that it doesn't ooze out from under the wood pieces. Make sure pieces remain aligned as they dry.
- Final steps ... glue or nail on a hanger. Add twine. Attach a bow. Maybe even add some glitter. Personalize your project to match your own decor!
*** If you can't find a picture of your project on our website or FB page, check your email. There should be a picture on your receipt from when you purchased your kit.
Baby Wipe Method
Basic Painting Techniques
Quick & Easy Shading
Creating a Background
Splatter, Speckle, Flecking
Easy Bow Making
Adding a stand to the back of your project …
He is Risen
Bunny Ears - 16” round
- Use 2nd and 4th sets of holes for the 2 sides of the florals. Attach with a pipe cleaner from front to back, twisting the pipe cleaner tightly on the back and fitting excess into the rectangular space.
- Put the twine through the middle set of holes from back to front. Form each piece of ribbon into an ‘s’ shape and pinch in the middle. Place that over the twine and tie. Fluff.
- Add glue on the rectangular frame as well as the bottom part of the ears and position onto the round in your desired location.
Yarn ear option…
Yarn is easily wrapped around each ear and can be tacked with glue on the bottom of each side. Cut off excess so it doesn’t extend over the wood rectangular frame. When gluing to the round, add glue to the frame as well as to some of the yarn on the bottom of the ear and position on the round.
Mix & Match Everyday Hangers
Christmas Ornament Collection’22
Memories Frame w/Inserts
Summer ‘22 Projects
Circle of Stars
❤️ of America
Sam the Patriotic Gnome
Uncle Sam Hanger
Sweet Land of Liberty Tiered Tray Set
Sweet Land of Liberty Popsicle
Red, White, & Blue Tiered Tray Set
Honey I’m Gnome!
I was Made for Sunny Days
Welcome to My Honeycomb
Welcome Bicycle Round
Hello Summer Round
Hello Summer Watermelon Round
Spring ‘22 Projects
Farmhouse Plank Changeable
Bunny & Carrot Garland
Peter’s Carrot Co.
Peter’s Carrot Cart
It’s About the Lamb
Gnome in Love tray set
Just Chillin' tray set
Touchdown! tray set
S'mores tray set